Last year, in August, Ritu and Seema went for a holiday to Goa. They were walking on the beach when they saw an empty bottle bobbing on the waves.
Ritu picked up the bottle out of curiosity. She then wrote her name and address on a piece of paper. She folded the paper, slipped it into the bottle, and put the bottle cap on. She threw the bottle back into the sea.
After their vacation, Ritu and Seema went back to Delhi and forgot all about the incident on the beach.
A year later, Ritu received a letter from a woman in England. The woman said that she had found the bottle that Ritu had thrown into the sea in Goa and also the note inside the bottle with Ritu’s name and address. So she was writing to Ritu to say hello.
Ritu and her English friend write to each other regularly now. However, they do not use old-fashioned letters to communicate. Instead they use email. Now their letters cost nothing because they don’t have to buy paper, envelopes, and stamps. And their messages certainly travel faster than a letter in a bottle.
Beach – sandy shore by a sea or lake
Bobbing – a quick, short movement up and down
Wave – movement of the sea or body of water as it nears the shore; movement of one’s hand to and fro in greeting or to signal something
Curiosity – desire to know or learn something
Incident – an instance of something happening; an event or occurrence
Communicate – share or exchange information, news, or ideas
Envelope – a flat paper container with a sealable flap, used to enclose a letter or document
Please make sentences with the words below. The sentences must show that you understand the meaning of the word.
B) Please read the text aloud. Pay close attention to the words in bold. Do you know how they are pronounced?
C) Discussion Points
- What were Ritu and Seema doing in Goa?
- What did they see when they were walking on the beach?
- What did Ritu do?
- What did Ritu receive a year later?
- What do Ritu and her new friend do?
- How do Ritu and her new friend communicate?
- How do they save money and time in communicating with each other?
- Do you exchange messages with a friend regularly? What are the subjects you discuss with each other?
D) True or False
Are these sentences true or false?
- The letter that Ritu received was from a close friend in England.
- Last year, Ritu wrote her name and address on a note and put it in a bottle.
- Ritu waited eagerly for someone to write to her.
- A year later, Ritu got a reply.
- The two girls write to each other all the time.
- The two girls still use bottles to communicate.