On a hot day in summer, an ant was searching for some water. After walking around for some time, she came near the river. To drink the water, she climbed up on a small rock. While trying to drink water, she slipped and fell into the river.
A dove was sitting on a branch of a tree. It saw the ant fall into the river. The dove quickly plucked a leaf and dropped it into the river near the struggling ant. The ant moved towards the leaf and climbed up onto it. Soon, the leaf drifted to dry ground, and the ant jumped off. The ant looked up at the tree and thanked the dove.
Later the same day, a bird catcher was about to throw his net over a dove hoping to trap it. An ant saw him and guessed what he was about to do. The dove was resting and he had not seen the bird catcher. The ant bit him on the foot. Feeling the pain, the bird catcher dropped his net and let out a scream. The dove quickly flew away.
Moral: If you do good, good will come to you. One good deed deserves another.
- Please discuss the sayings:
“You reap what you sow,”
“What goes around comes around,”
and “One good deed deserves another.”
- Please describe an act of kindness. How did it make you feel?
- With the help of an example, explain the saying: “What goes around comes around.”
- Please keep a record of the good deeds you have done this past week.
- ‘Reap’ rhymes with ‘deep.’ Find 10 more words that rhyme with ‘reap.’
- Please write a four line poem about ‘helping others’. It does not have to rhyme.
The Wise Old Owl
There was an old owl
Who lived in an oak;
The more he heard,
The less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why aren’t we like that wise old bird?
Underline the rhyming words in this poem.