‘With’ and ‘by’
A preposition is a word that links all the words in the sentence together. They are relationship words.
- ‘With’ is used to show being together.
I like to drink a glass of milk with my breakfast.
- ‘With’ is used in the sense of ‘having.’
I know the girl with long hair.
- ‘With’ is used in the sense of ‘using.’
I wrote the letter with my favourite pen.
- ‘With’ is used to show agreement or disagreement.
I agree with my mother. My siblings and I need to do more chores at home.
- ‘By’ is used in the sense of ‘next to.’
Can I sit by you?
- ‘By’ is used to show a method.
He came here by bus.
- ‘By’ is used when there is a doer.
The prescription was written by the doctor
- ‘By’ is used for ‘no later than.’
The fee is due by Friday.
Please fill in the blanks with ‘by’ or ‘with’:
- I just found the key! It was ___ the tray on the table.
- He filled out the form ___ a ballpoint pen.
- I came here ___ bus.
- The letter was written ___ his boss.
- The car was fixed ___ the mechanic.
- I travel to the station ___ auto.
- My mother travelled ___ me to Varanasi.
- I cut the apple ___ a sharp knife.
- The mayor cut the ribbon ___ a pair of scissors.
- My brother has a new camera. He loves to take pictures ___ it.
- Samir fought ___ Aman. They are no longer friends.
- He lives ___ the sea.
- We have a house ___ a tiny balcony.
- Aamir left the dripping umbrella ___ the door.
- Neha never drinks water ___ her meals.
- Khicchri is a dish made ___ rice and daal.
- Do you drink milk ___ sugar?
- Are you talking about the tall boy ___ long hair?
- People ___ a lot of money are not always happy.
- I will contact him ___ phone or ___ email.
- The children were asleep ___ 9 pm.
- The explorer was bitten ___ mosquitoes in the jungle.
- This song was first sung ___ Shreya Ghoshal.
- I am working ___ a lawyer on this project.